Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Kirk Douglas Talks Adversity at CSULB




(Photographer: Victoria Snachez)

Legendary film star and producer Kirk Douglas spoke at an afternoon seminar at Cal State Long Beach's Daniel Recital Hall yesterday about adversity he faced.

"When I had a stroke about 15 years ago, I couldn't speak" Douglas said. "I wrote a play where I played myself and it was successful — eight performances a week."

After talking about his stroke, Douglas sat down and read a poem entitled "Acting Faces" written by Betty McMicken, a CSULB communicative disorders assistant professor an speech-language pathologist.

Speech-language pathologists often aid people, like Douglas, who struggle to speak because of strokes or other speech impairing events.
.
"I am happy to have had the opportunity to listen to him and learn more about his personal view on his work," said Helena Haman, a film major on exchange from Germany. .



 For the full storry visit http://www.daily49er.com/news/kirk-douglas-talks-adversity-at-csulb-1.2633341

No comments:

Post a Comment